Sunday, January 13, 2008

Lead Jewelry Law-California Consumer Information

Due to all the "lead concerns" especially for children under the age of 6, a lead jewelry law has been passed in California (proposition 65 & 1681) (effects all jewelry sold to California residents whether retail or online) ;as this is a general public concern, I'm sure more states will follow California's suit.

Although, I primarily design jewelry for adults I do get custom requests for children and thought this would be valuable information not just for California residents but all consumers. As a consumer and mother myself, I wanted to educate myself to ensure that I'm making a "safe" product and that I buy "safe" products for my family !!

As a consumer, what you need to know is that I use the following precious metals to make the majority of my jewelry: fine silver, sterling silver and 14k GF (considered a class 1 material). On my dichroic glass pendants, I have a line priced under $25 that uses sterling plated bails and 18k plated bails; these bails are made from a base metal . The base metal is considered a Class 2 material and deemed acceptable for all adult jewelry as long as the base metal has <10% lead in the electroplated material (in Aug 2009 this will change to <6%). I checked with my supplier and the plated bails I have fall within the requirements.

I also use Swarovski crystals as accents in many of my necklace and awareness bracelet designs. The crystals do contain minimal lead but the lead is embedded so does NOT pose a health risk to adults; any children's jewelry must NOT contain more than 1 gram total weight of "crystal" jewelry.

I would like to thank Rena Klingenberg for posting this information and sharing her reader's input to assist jewelry artists and consumer navigate this new law!

No comments: