Monday, January 7, 2008

Checkered Green & Orange Fused Glass Plate

fused checkered glass plateI'm still experimenting with my medium of the moment, Warm Glass! I just love the way this "wavy/ruffled" oh so happy colored checkered serving plate turned out!

I used Bullseye (BE) 90 COE opalescent glass-green & orange. I cut two 3 inch squares for each color. I laid them down with the opalescent on the kiln paper. I added a 6 1/8 inch square piece of irridized glass on top and did a full fuse in my kiln, annealed and waited patiently until it cooled ( the oh so hard part...it is so tempting to peek!)

I cold worked the edges by beveling with my grinder and then giving the edges a good clean with a wire brush and water.

I "dusted" ceramic fiber blanket "chunks" with kiln wash* and placed them randomly along the outer edges of the square plate (the plate has been flipped so the irridized glass is now on the bottom) making sure the chunks allowed the plate to slump in the middle.

I then placed this set up in the kiln and slumped, annealed and once again waited patiently for the plate to cool.

I love the "organic" wave/ruffle design on the outer edges of this design and the bold, bright and happy colors!

Checkers with a twist anyone? :)

P.S.
I got this "dusting tip" from the Warm Glass boards. If you are a fused glass addict like myself, it is a wonderful resource!

No comments: