Saturday, April 26, 2008

Fused Glass Design Notes-Tack vs Full Fuse

tack vs full fuse glass experimentGlass is a versatile medium and once you become "one" with the glass ("May the Force" be with you & all that jazz) and your kiln, you can do some amazing things.

I have been experimenting with drawing on glass using glass paste and a syringe. I create my glass paste using CMC, glass powder and distilled water.

If I tack fuse, the drawing has more of a 3D effect/embossed effect (as seen on the left). If I increase the temperature, the drawing actually melts into the glass it is sitting on so if you run your finger over the piece it is smooth (as seen on the right).

Believe it or not, these two tiles were cut the same size but the one on the right has shrunk and has more rounded edges. If I had held the one on the right longer at the full fuse temperature, I could have actually made the square tile into a circular shape.

I'm perfecting my writing & drawing skills in glass using various size needle tips on glass so that I can add some really fun fused glass pendants and art glass decor items including magnet sets because we all need art for the fridge! So, check back often or better yet sign up for the newsletter so you get in on the FREE jewelry drawing every month (next one is May 15th) and get notices of new designs and sales before the general public!

No comments: